Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dr. Allie Dailey - Week 1: Sustained through Fatigue

One week in to residency and boy, has it been a crazy week!

I scrubbed in as the first assist in an AV fistula creation on my first day! I wasn’t expecting to begin logging cases from day #1 but beyond excited to perform part of the vascular anastomosis with the oversight of my attending. After 2 days, I began working night shift - Monday through Friday.

My first night on call, I felt this incredible amount of responsibility for the patients. It is both a tremendous and stressful feeling. As a medical student, you see a patient and then present to the team. You are never fully responsible for a patient’s care and well-being. As an intern, you receive the first call and have to make the decision, “Can I handle this? Or should I ask my senior for help?” (I called for help multiple times!!) I was never left without support a page or phone call away, yet it was still terrifying to finally have the weight of someone’s health on my shoulders. It makes me want to work harder for the patients, to learn more, and (thankfully) to read more!

I began reading Proverbs in July to seek His wisdom:

“If you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds success in store for the upright…and protects the way of his faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.”
Proverbs 2:3-10

It is only by Him that I was sustained. Quite frankly, I had only received about 7-8 hours of sleep by the time I reached Thursday morning from beginning Monday night. I went to M&M, able to keep my eyes open but unable to maintain concentration. I prayed that God would give me the rest I needed and that He would multiply my energy and knowledge. (I know others are praying for me as well - Thank you!). He poured on me His energy from above and Thursday, I actually slept an hour and a half during my night. By Friday morning, I felt this unexplainable amount of rejuvenation. It could have been that I was elated that I only had to endure one more night on call…but I give the credit to His great mercies!

I am thankful that He has placed me in a supportive environment. This weekend, I am trying to recuperate. I am grateful for His provisions and pray for more knowledge, discernment, and energy!

No comments: